From Luke Sneeringer <lukesneerin...@gmail.com>
Subject CouchDB Hangs on View Creation
Date Mon, 30 Nov 2009 22:15:17 GMT
Good afternoon!

I will preface this by staging that if I'm asking this question in the wrong place, please
feel free to correct me and point me to the right place. I considered filling out a ticket
for this issue, but I wasn't really all that convinced that it was a CouchDB problem rather
than a me problem, so I wanted to ask here first.

Onto my issue. I have a database with about 59,000 documents. Some contain attachments, some
do not. I tried to replicate (pull, not push) said database from one CouchDB instance to another
one. The replication failed several times inexplicably, both using curl on the command line
(Ubuntu 9.10) and Futon. Finally, it succeeded in Futon. I am defining "failed" here as that
replication seemed to hang; the number of documents in the target database did not increase,
was less than the number of documents in the source database (by many thousands), and the
item disappeared from the status page in Futon. Also, on the failed attempts, replication
failed in different places each time.

So eventually it succeeded. Huzzah. Except now I can't create any views. It just doesn't work.
I never see my results. So, I went and started looking at the file being created in /var/lib/couchdb/0.10.0/.dbname_design/.
There's a .view file that gets created, and its size goes up for awhile and then stops going
up. At the time that file size ceases to increase, I get a erl_crash.dump file that is 0 bytes
in length. Not really valuable.

The view scripts themselves are "known good"; they work on the source server.

Does anyone have any ideas for me?

Best Regards,
Luke Sneeringer
lukesneeringer@gmail.com