From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: couch behavior for san snapshots
Date Mon, 19 Oct 2009 19:33:42 GMT
On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 12:18 PM, Alex P <apedenko@kolosy.com> wrote:
> hello,
>
> we ran into an issue this weekend where taking a SAN (amazon ebs) snapshot
> of a couchdb mount somehow brought over only part of the data. specifically,
> there were two small dbs (call them db1 and db2) on the couch instance, each
> with several hundred documents. taking the snapshot and bringing it up again
> showed both databases, but one had 0 documents and an update sequence of 0.
> the instance the snapshot was taken from still has both databases showing
> with several hundred databases. we repeated this process several times, with
> the same effect, on the same db.
>
> any thoughts would be much appreciated, as we are about to go live, and not
> being able to do a backup of our db is ... disturbing.

Is it possible to look for differences between the san
snapshot-restored file and the original? if you haven't compacted
since the snapshot they should be the same until the time of the
snapshot.

If the snapshot restore corrupted the file, that should show up as a
difference earlier in the file.

Chris

--
Chris Anderson