From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposal regarding reserved names
Date Fri, 30 Oct 2009 03:01:41 GMT
On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 7:19 PM, Julian Goacher
<julian.goacher@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> I think this is a slightly different use case though. The framework sits as
> a layer between the user and the db; I don't want the user to wrap their
> data to use the framework. Rather, I want to annotate a user generated
> document with additional data - which is essentially what the existing
> underscored names currently do.

If you have a layer between the user and the db then I don't see what
would be cleaner than using a nested object. Otherwise your user has
to face the fact that none of their top level members are able to be
underscore prefixed. There might be implications for M/R I guess, but
that'd depend on how much framework there is.

Bottom line, I'm not sure how much its gonna be worth it to special
case _meta as a not reserved member. I'd need to be a bit more
convinced before I'd say that punching a hole in the underscore prefix
rule would be ok. As it is, you could just as well do $meta or
something else without a difference.

Paul Davis