From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: chunked response and couch_doc_open
Date Fri, 23 Oct 2009 17:33:28 GMT
On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 1:27 PM, Norman Barker <norman.barker@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there a way (in Erlang) to open a couchdb document and to iterate
> over the document body without having to open up all of the document
> in memory?
>
> I would like to use a chunked response to keep the system having a low
> memory overhead.
>
> Not a particular couch question, is there a method in erlang to find
> the size (as in number of bytes) of a particular term?
>
> many thanks,
>
> Norman

Norman,

Well, for document JSON we store Erlang term binaries on disk so
there's no real way to stream a doc across the wire from disk without
memory issues on read loads? Its generally pretty light on its memory
requirements for reads.

The only way to get the size of a Term in bytes that I know of is the
brute force: size(term_to_binary(Term)) method.

Paul Davis