From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: insert performance
Date Tue, 13 Oct 2009 14:00:09 GMT
On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 9:29 AM, Brian Karlak <zenkat@metaweb.com> wrote:

> On Oct 13, 2009, at 5:37 AM, Paul Davis wrote:
>
>> Have you compacted your production DB recently?
>
> Well, these stats are for a newly created database, so compaction shouldn't
> matter, yes?
>
> But in any case, I have run compaction on the production database, to no
> avail.
>
> One caveat, however: we have one (somewhat funky) usecase which creates a
> large number of small databases.  Could the existence of several thousand
> small databases affect performance?
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

It could be an issue if you're having lots of churn in the open
databases. Though, there was some work on that just before and after
0.9.0 or .1 IIRC. You could test that by slowing traffic and writing
to a single database repeatedly to see if those inserts are requiring
the database file to be opened for each write maybe.

I didn't think the insert time should suffer on the empty database
like you had, but I figured it'd be worth a shot.

Also, 0.10.0 was just officially release ;)

HTH,
Paul Davis