From Adam Kocoloski <kocol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: libjpeg dependency?
Date Thu, 15 Oct 2009 15:52:34 GMT
Heya Brian, nice to see a fellow Erlang/JSON/REST/NoSQL/... DB dev
over here!

On Oct 15, 2009, at 11:36 AM, Bryan Fink wrote:

> Hi.  I'm trying to play with CouchDB on my Mac (10.5.8), Erlang/OTP
> R13B02 installed.  I'm getting an error when I try to start couchdb,
> though:
>
> $ couchdb
> dyld: Symbol not found: __cg_jpeg_resync_to_restart
>  Referenced from:
> /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/
> Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/ImageIO
>  Expected in: /opt/local/lib/libJPEG.dylib
>
> Trace/BPT trap
>
> The same error occurs with both couchdb-0.9.1 and -0.10, each compiled
> from source tarball.
>
> So, I have two questions:
>
> 1. Why does couchdb depend on libjpeg?

It doesn't, really.  But the command `icu-config --invoke` ends up
prefixing /opt/local/lib to DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH, at which point all
those MacPorts libs start trumping the Apple defaults.  It sucks, and
in trunk we don't do it anymore.

> 2. Is there any way to disable couchdb's dependency on libjpeg?  (Or,
> of course, fix the dependency in some other way, but I've had macports
> churning for a while now upgrading everything, and I'm ready to be
> done.)

You can safely remove the call to icu-config --invoke from the couchdb
startup script.  Turns out it isn't really necessary to get the ICU
libraries linked in properly.  Cheers,

Adam