From Noah Slater <nsla...@tumbolia.org>
Subject Re: My first time i wrote to a mailing list.
Date Thu, 22 Oct 2009 18:01:10 GMT

On 22 Oct 2009, at 18:55, Georges Racinet wrote:

> Glad to hear that :-) Didn't he mean that users of CouchDB are mostly
> developers anyway, though ?

Dunno. I think it's a bit odd to suggest that CouchDB could ever be
for non-developers.

There's a lot of activity at the moment, from various sides, to make
CouchDB ubiquitous. UbuntuOne is a good example. But in the case where
a user is using CouchDB because it is used for some application they
have, that does not mean that they should care that it uses CouchDB.
SQLite is used by Mail.app, but that doesn't mean that Mail.app users
care about SQLite. CouchDB is a tool in your toolchain so that you can
build user applications. CouchDB itself is not a user application.
Again, if someone built a non-JSON GUI for CouchDB, then that would be
a user application - but the CouchDB core is still just a tool. Maybe
I'm talking shit. I'm sure I will be corrected if I am.