From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Couch in the wild: request for feedback
Date Wed, 28 Oct 2009 11:30:32 GMT
Hi Mike,

welcome to user@ :)

On 25 Oct 2009, at 20:40, Michael Miller wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I should introduce myself to the list: I am one of the cofounders of
> Cloudant.  Behind Adam Kocoloski's  lead we are actively
> contributing to CouchDB and are currently deploying it at scale as a
> hosted service for our alpha-customers.  We are co-sponsoring this
> week's no:sql(east) conference in Atlanta (*) and I'll be giving my
> first talk on CouchDB.  The talk is aimed squarely at telling the
> story of couch in the wild, and I could use your help.  After a
> brief description of couch and what makes it unique, I want to focus
> on what it's like to use couch in production.  In particular:

I'm trying to be objective :)

> - why did you choose couch?

I like simple systems. CouchDB uses the same concepts for data
storage, views, replication and compaction. It is extremely easy to
understand. And I'm a huge fan of web technologies :)

> - if you did not choose couch, what was the leading reason?

Sometimes, storing a few bytes to a file is the simplest thing you can
do :)

> - what problem(s) does couch solve for your application?

I want to develop software, not fight with databases. I've been doing
that for a long time and I'm just fed up. CouchDB frees me from a lot
of hassle and brings fun back into writing database backed applications.

> - was couch a success for your needs?

Totally :)

> - what are your top feature requests for future development?

Less obscure Erlang crash reports, easier view management, more
documentation.

> - what do you love about couch?

The Relax theme.

> - what do you hate about couch?

That it is different. People don't like change and it is hard to
explain that some change is good.

Cheers
Jan