From Glenn Rempe <gl...@rempe.us>
Subject Re: couch behavior for san snapshots
Date Mon, 19 Oct 2009 21:32:36 GMT
Not sure if this will help at all, but I am also using EBS to store a large
cdb DB.
It is recommended that the filesystem that you want to snapshot on EBS is
frozen (or unmounted) if that is possible to help ensure a coherent EBS
snapshot.

For example, on my mysql and couchdb volumes I use the XFS filesystem which
has an XFS freeze command which I use to temporarily lock the FS and flush
it to disk, and then request the snapshot.  You can do this in a script and
it takes only a few seconds of disk downtime.  I believe writes are cached
during this period.  I have been using this with mysql but have not yet set
it up for my couchdb volume.

See :

http://developer.amazonwebservices.com/connect/entry.jspa?categoryID=100&externalID=1663
http://alestic.com/2009/09/ec2-consistent-snapshot

HTH

--
Glenn Rempe

email                 : glenn@rempe.us
voice                 : (415) 894-5366 or (415)-89G-LENN
twitter                : @grempe
contact info        : http://www.rempe.us/contact.html
pgp                    : http://www.rempe.us/gnupg.txt