From Glenn Rempe <gl...@rempe.us>
Subject Re: Timeout Error when trying to access views + Indexing problems
Date Sun, 04 Oct 2009 06:07:18 GMT
Thanks for the reply Paul.  Some comments below.

Also, just for full disclosure, the CouchDB I am working on was moved out of
another couchdb and it was originally created using CDB 0.9.1.  I show a dir
listing below that indicates exactly what was moved.

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 6:46 PM, Paul Joseph Davis <
paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com> wrote:

> Glenn,
>
> This sounds like your map function is timing out which causes the error.
> You could try upping the os process timeout setting in the config.

When I go into futon and select one of my views in my design doc it *always*
consistently pops up a javascript alert with the error text at ~5 seconds
after selecting the view.  It doesn't seem to matter what else I do.  It
also didn't vary when I changed the os_process_timeout value in futon as you
suggested from 5000 to 25000.  Can you explain exactly what this particular
param is doing?  I assume the value is milliseconds?

> To see what's going on you can increase to debug logging or use the log
> function in your maps. There's also the status page in futon which I think
> you said you were looking at.

Yes, I was previously looking at the status page.  But now since I've
upgraded to trunk I never see any indexing activity happening in the status
page no matter what I do.

> If indexing crashes it should just pick up where it left off when you
> retrigger. Use the status page to verify. If it's not then let us know.

Can you clarify, is this also the case when no index has ever successfully
run?  I was wondering if I first need to get through at least one index
session (maybe with a smaller amount of records) prior to incremental
indexing working as expected.

Is there any way to determine what percentage of the total records have been
added to the index?

For your info, here are the contents of the DB dir.  You can see the main DB
is 42GB now (~17 million records).

root@ip-10-250-55-239:/home/rails/underscore-sync-mysql-to-couchdb/shared/log#
ls -la /vol/couchdb/var/lib/couchdb
total 41674956
drwxr-xr-x 3 couchdb root             78 2009-10-04 00:46 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 couchdb root             20 2009-10-03 05:02 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 couchdb couchdb 42675073133 2009-10-04 02:13
searchlight_production.couch
drwxr-xr-x 2 couchdb couchdb         120 2009-10-03 06:02
.searchlight_production_design

root@ip-10-250-55-239:/home/rails/underscore-sync-mysql-to-couchdb/shared/log#
ls -la /vol/couchdb/var/lib/couchdb/.searchlight_production_design/
total 33700196
drwxr-xr-x 2 couchdb couchdb         120 2009-10-03 06:02 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 couchdb root             78 2009-10-04 00:46 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 couchdb couchdb  9819347287 2009-10-03 08:04
5f190ffb2ed589746e8796d2423869ac.view
-rw-r--r-- 1 couchdb couchdb    91402872 2009-10-03 06:03
b127a58306fb8e7858cd1a92f8398511.view
-rw-r--r-- 1 couchdb couchdb 24598236884 2009-10-02 13:00
SearchDocument.view

> If you can't find anything in the debug logs then ping the lust and we'll
> get into trying to duplicate.

I have turned on the 'debug' level in the logs and that provided me with the
info I previously provided.  I'll try to use the log function in the map and
see if that shows anything.

Thanks for helping.  If it comes to it, I may be able to make a snapshot of
this EBS volume and start a host that you could login to and get your hands
directly on it if that would be helpful.

Glenn