From Brian Candler <B.Cand...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: What happens with a document, if a conflict is not resolved?
Date Fri, 30 Oct 2009 13:15:33 GMT
On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 08:33:52AM +0000, Brian Candler wrote:
> Yes, I know patches are welcome. The reason I'm not contributing code for
> this right now is that I have higher priorities - I'm happy to keep my app
> 409-tied while I work on other things.

On the other hand, I am happy to contribute some documentation. I just
wrote the following page, which turned out to be longer than expected:
http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Replication_and_conflicts

Some interesting things came out while working this through. You can see an
example Ruby script I wrote which replaces GET and PUT with multi-rev
equivalents. I don't know of any existing client library which does this,
but once you're clear what is needed, it's quite straightforward.

Then if you use this, your application can forget about all 409 handling,
because you'll never see one.

I think turning this into a native API would be good - even if it's just
GET ?all=true and PUT ?revs=[rev1,rev2,rev3]

Regards,

Brian.