From Brian Candler <B.Cand...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Timeout Error when trying to access views + Indexing problems
Date Wed, 07 Oct 2009 07:39:23 GMT
On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 01:36:13PM -0700, Glenn Rempe wrote:
> No.  I have not noticed any correlation with the time.  Sometimes I
> have seen it run during the day and die as well.  I've seen it die
> lots of times...  ;-)  It seems like it is always dying though
> somewhere between 2 and 6 million records processed out of 28 mm
> (which might support the theory of memory starvation of some kind if
> it is holding some of those records in memory unintentionally, even
> though top reports nothing more than 4GB out of 15GB being used).

You might have a per-process memory limit of some sort: either ulimit (see
"ulimit -a"); or a hard-coded limitation in your O/S which limits a single
process to 4GB, for example; or conceivably the erlang VM could have a 4GB
limit.

[I do vaguely remember something about people saying you should build erlang
in 32-bit mode even under a 64-bit OS, but I could well have that wrong]

Either way, if your process memory usage is continually growing and also
approaching 4GB, I would be concerned. I don't see any reason why building a
view should take an increasing amount of memory. It sounds like a leak.

Regards,

Brian.