From Brian Candler <B.Cand...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Timeout Error when trying to access views + Indexing problems
Date Sun, 04 Oct 2009 17:31:15 GMT
On Sat, Oct 03, 2009 at 11:27:54PM -0700, Glenn Rempe wrote:
> And just another data point.  I was seeing timeouts from my CouchRest client
> when trying to do bulk saves to this large DB from my migration script.
> You can see that I find a batch of 1000 records to migrate and bulk save
> them to CouchDB.  I write back a timestamp to MySQL for each of those
> records.  So you can see it takes less than 10 seconds to update 1000 docs
> in mysql, and almost a minute for the http request to return 201 success for
> the bulk insert of that date into couchdb.  Avg record size is a few hundred
> bytes.

That sounds wrong. I use ancient hardware (1.2GHz P4 laptop) and a bulk
insert of 1200 small documents takes around 2 seconds.

Note that this can't be anything to do with indexing, if you're just talking
about the time from HTTP POST to HTTP response, because indexes are only
updated when you read a view (unless you have some other process in the
background making separate accesses to views?)

Unfortunately, I can't give you any clue as to what's wrong on your
platform.