From Noah Slater <nsla...@tumbolia.org>
Subject Re: STDOUT and STDERR file creation when running couchdb -b - permission problems
Date Sun, 04 Oct 2009 17:49:49 GMT
> It seems that when couchdb is run with -b it tests for write
> permissions on
> couchdb.stdout and couchdb.stderr in the directory where couchdb is
> started.
> I don't see why couchdb should be able to write to my home directory
> so I
> changed the location of these two file to be the log folder. IMO
> this a more
> sensible default. I was about to submit a ticket about this, but
> before
> doing that I just wanted to check here why these files are created
> in the
> directory from which couchdb is run. Am I missing something obvious?

Yeps!

If you want to run CouchDB in the background, it is recommended that
you do:

   /etc/init.d/couchdb start

As you might imagine, this script takes care of switching into the
correct user, and doing log files. If you really wish to start CouchDB
by hand, and in the background, it is expected you take care of this
manually, or specify a proper location for STDOUT and STDERR.