From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Varnish and Multi-doc Fetch?
Date Fri, 11 Sep 2009 17:58:08 GMT
On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 1:28 PM, Zachary Zolton
<zachary.zolton@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm testing out using Varnish for my application, and so far most
> everything "just works" with CouchDB. The only real problem I have is
> that I'm using (probably abusing!) the multi-doc fetch feature, which
> results in a POST request that Varnish isn't gonna cache.
>
> (As an aside, I'm likely not properly de-normalizing my data—since I'm
> using the multi-doc fetch much like one would use SQL joins. I do plan
> some big refactoring...!)
>
> Two potential solutions I thought of:
>
> 1) Cache POST requests in my Varnish config—this sounds like a can of
> worms though, since POSTs can also be used for creating documents (not
> to mention all the VCL-fu required)
>
> 2) Add a GET multi-doc fetch feature to CouchDB—however, I'm guessing
> there's a good reason why we don't already have this, right?  (^_-)
>
> Anyways, I was wondering if anyone else has dealt with this situation
> or has any ideas.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Zach

Zach,

The original motivation for not using GET was basically:

1. URL lengths are limited
2. GET's with bodies aren't consistently supported
3. POST!

Its been often requested to allow for a GET url parameter to multi-key
fetch, even in the face of the length limitations. If you *really
really* want it, then patches welcome, if you only *really* want it,
then you could make sure that there's a ticket open and then throw
things at me till it gets done.

Also, this shouldn't be too difficult of a patch. I'm thinking along
the lines of just adding a multi=[key1, key2, key3...] parameter. Or
perhaps fetch=key&fetch=key&fetch=key. But the code all stays pretty
shallow. It'd just be hooking that up and passing it to the function
in place of the value that normally gets grabbed form the body.

HTH,
Paul Davis