From Nitin Borwankar <ni...@borwankar.com>
Subject Re: Futon Improvements
Date Wed, 09 Sep 2009 21:16:54 GMT
Hi Paul,
Re: formatting of JSON strings in general there have been some discussions
at my "day job" where we are working on a JSON rendering of BibTeX data
 (currently called BibJSON by us).

The annoying issue that comes up for us in human interactions with  a JSON
string (i.e. when JSON is in a disk file or on the screen, rather than being
munged by a browser) is that it is one interminably long string as there are
no \n's for pretty printing.

So the BibJSON spec is considering doing something drastic ( there is
understandable opposition to this and I am on the fence) such as insisting
that
serialized BibJSON be formatted as

[
 {...},
 {...},
 {...}
]

where there is an implicit \n after each of '['  ']' and '}' and after every
',' so that it renders as above.

Aside from visual rendering this way this approach is also useful when doing
some thing like 'head' or 'grep' on a file containing JSON.
Ever try doing that on a '\n' less JSON file that is a few 10's of MB?
For the uninitiated it gives you the whole friggin' file as a response to
'head' or 'grep' which is useless.

BTW the above serialization with superfluous \n's, validates just fine in
Doug Crockford's JSLint service http://jslint.com (note: 'jslint will hurt
your feelings' (TM) )

So aside from how Futon handles JSON strings I would suggest some thought to
the value of
a) a convention of adding \n's for human friendliness (even if just in
files, in a couchapp tree)
b) adding two methods to CouchDB's built in JS libraries that pretty-up and,
well,  ugly-up a JSON string.
c) adding two methods that resp. replace \n with <p> and v.v in "JSON"
strings

This JSON string infrastructure support will make life much easier in Futon,
couchapp and other places where humans need to see/poke/prod JSON while
working with CocuhDB.

Aside from this, for Futon specific things, I would like to add my +1 to the
need for displaying/editing just one view function when you click on it
rather than all of them all at once in one large bowl of insufferable JSON
stringy noodle soup that is served up right now.  I don't like JSON noodle
soup.  Dear Abby, am I the only one?

Thanks much,

Nitin

37% of all statistics are made up on the spot
Nitin Borwankar
nborwankar@gmail.com