From Jesse Hallett <halle...@gmail.com>
Subject CouchDB presentation in Portland tonight
Date Tue, 01 Sep 2009 15:50:04 GMT
I will be giving a presentation on CouchDB tonight at the Portland Ruby
Brigade Meeting, which runs from 7-9pm at Robert Half Technology, 222 SW
Columbia St, Portland, OR <http://calagator.org/events/1250457540>.  If
there are any folks on the list who are in Portland and are interested, I
would be thrilled to see you there.

The focus of the talk will be on high-level Ruby interfaces to CouchDB.  But
there will be a lot of people at the meeting who don't know much about
CouchDB or why they would want to use it.  So I will also give some
background and explain what sort of things CouchDB is good at.

At the last meeting there was another presentation comparing the
performances of several new database systems with benchmarks.  CouchDB did
very poorly in these benchmarks, compared to Tokyo Tyrant, MongoDB, and the
usual SQL implemenations, for every operation except for retrieving
documents in bulk.  One of the challenges I will face will be explaining
that there are applications where CouchDB is the best choice despite those
numbers.