From go canal <goca...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: couchdb: suitable for this type of applications ?
Date Sat, 26 Sep 2009 03:34:49 GMT
>>When you compact the database it removes all but the most recent version of each document.

Does this mean that if I want to support document version feature, I can not compact the database
?

Let's say I am working on a Word document, I upload it as an attachment; I need to have a
list of all versions for this file and can download any of previous version.

Is this how I should model it in CouchDB:
 - have a version field, not using the CouchDB _rev. update the version in my application.
 - when uploading the modified Word document, a doc with a different ID is created. So compacting
a DB will not affect them.
    but how to get a list of all versions of this document ? I need to use another field to
identify them, for example, another application generated ID.

Is this the general practice ? I am sure supporting versioning is a common request, so appreciate
if you can provide some advices..
thanks,
canal