From Michael Stevens <michael.stev...@dianomi.com>
Subject Re: couchdb perl modules
Date Tue, 22 Sep 2009 09:25:35 GMT
2009/9/21 James Marca <jmarca@translab.its.uci.edu>

> On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 06:11:53PM +0100, Michael Stevens wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > Does anyone know a good CouchDB perl module? So far I've tried a number
> of
> > options, including Net::CouchDb, CouchDB::Client, and AnyEvent::CouchDB
> and
> > had problems with all of them.
>
> You didn't mention DB::CouchDB::Schema.
>
> I agree with you that all have problems (including
> DB::CouchDB::Schema), but all are open source, and I've seen a few of
> the authors post to this mailing list in the past.  I'd suggest
> picking one that is closest to what you want and/or has the least
> problems for your workflow, and see about fixing the problems and
> submitting patches (or at the very least submitting feature requests)
> to the author(s).
>
> That has worked for me in the past on DB::CouchDB.
>
> For what its worth, I liked the AnyEvent part of AnyEvent::CouchDB,
> saw that it was used by the KiokuDB project, and tried to use it, but
> at the time I tried I couldn't get admin user and password credentials
> to work.  In contrast, DB::CouchDB used LWP::UserAgent to handle the
> http connections, and I knew how to get Credentials to work in
> LWP::UA, so patching the source was easy and I was on my way.  Then I
> wanted bulk_docs semantics, so I added that too (although come to
> think of it, I don't know if I pushed that up to my github or wrote
> any proper tests for it).

I've been trying to contact the authors for the ones I've tried so far, no
response yet (although AnyEvent::CouchDB I only emailed last night, so I can
hardly expect anything yet).

I haven't tried DB::CouchDB::Schema yet so I can't comment on it.

I'm going to try using HTTP and JSON directly next to see how reliable that
is, and how good/bad the code looks.

--
Michael Stevens
Dianomi Ltd

Tel: 020 7802 5530
Fax: 020 7630 7356
www.dianomi.com

The information in this message and any attachment is intended for the
addressee and is confidential and may be subject to legal privilege. Dianomi
Ltd, Registered Office: One America Square, Crosswall, London. EC3N 2SG.
Registered in England and Wales with Company Registration Number 4513809.
VAT registration number: 809754988