From Michael Stevens <>
Subject Re: couchdb perl modules
Date Tue, 22 Sep 2009 09:25:35 GMT
2009/9/21 James Marca <>

> On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 06:11:53PM +0100, Michael Stevens wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > Does anyone know a good CouchDB perl module? So far I've tried a number
> of
> > options, including Net::CouchDb, CouchDB::Client, and AnyEvent::CouchDB
> and
> > had problems with all of them.
> You didn't mention DB::CouchDB::Schema.
> I agree with you that all have problems (including
> DB::CouchDB::Schema), but all are open source, and I've seen a few of
> the authors post to this mailing list in the past.  I'd suggest
> picking one that is closest to what you want and/or has the least
> problems for your workflow, and see about fixing the problems and
> submitting patches (or at the very least submitting feature requests)
> to the author(s).
> That has worked for me in the past on DB::CouchDB.
> For what its worth, I liked the AnyEvent part of AnyEvent::CouchDB,
> saw that it was used by the KiokuDB project, and tried to use it, but
> at the time I tried I couldn't get admin user and password credentials
> to work.  In contrast, DB::CouchDB used LWP::UserAgent to handle the
> http connections, and I knew how to get Credentials to work in
> LWP::UA, so patching the source was easy and I was on my way.  Then I
> wanted bulk_docs semantics, so I added that too (although come to
> think of it, I don't know if I pushed that up to my github or wrote
> any proper tests for it).

I've been trying to contact the authors for the ones I've tried so far, no
response yet (although AnyEvent::CouchDB I only emailed last night, so I can
hardly expect anything yet).

I haven't tried DB::CouchDB::Schema yet so I can't comment on it.

I'm going to try using HTTP and JSON directly next to see how reliable that
is, and how good/bad the code looks.

Michael Stevens
Dianomi Ltd
18 Buckingham Gate
London SW1E 6LB

Tel: 020 7802 5530
Fax: 020 7630 7356

The information in this message and any attachment is intended for the
addressee and is confidential and may be subject to legal privilege. Dianomi
Ltd, Registered Office: One America Square, Crosswall, London. EC3N 2SG.
Registered in England and Wales with Company Registration Number 4513809.
VAT registration number: 809754988