From Simon Metson <simonmet...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: jQuery dependency (Re: Futon Improvements)
Date Fri, 11 Sep 2009 09:08:06 GMT
Hi,

On 11 Sep 2009, at 06:31, Blair Zajac wrote:

> I would also rather see the CouchDB developers leverage a single
> JavaScript framework than build their own or even mix a few
> together, as the first wastes their time when they could be
> improving CouchDB core and the second limits the ease at which new
> developers can contribute, since it requires familiarity with more
> than one library. Additionally, backing ones own JavaScript library
> basically ensures that no one else will be familiar with it.
>
> Personally, if I were choosing a JavaScript library, I would choose
> ExtJs or YUI because I am familiar with them, but I don't see how
> choosing and settling on jQuery is a bad decision.

I think what's needed is a few examples of people using <insert
favourite AJAX framework here> with CouchDB on the wiki from the
community. What's used in Futon is somewhat irrelevant, and should be
decided by who ever is doing the work to upgrade it. So long as
there's not a proliferation of javascript frameworks in the CouchDB
dependancy list I don't see an issue.
Cheers
Simon