From Tom Sante <tom.sa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: jQuery dependency (Re: Futon Improvements)
Date Fri, 11 Sep 2009 08:49:55 GMT
On Fri, Sep 11, 14:22, cinnebar wrote:
> Implementation of any new features in Futon immediately requires at least
> being down with jquery or otherwise being down with js and ajax with jquery
> on top.
>
> The project I am involved with is being built with its own js component lib
> to avoid longterm development cycles of third party libraries such as
> jquery.  We are employing techniques and functions/methods from a number of
> popular and not so commonly used libraries with license requires and credits
> where credits are due...
>
> I am sure that a growing percentage of couchdb users consider jquery style
> js an unnecessary layer of complexity.
> Additionally as Futon serves as both initial access to the couch and as an
> 'out of box' demo of input methods and application design. Development of a
> couchapp first requires knowing or learning jquery which more or less first
> requires knowing or learning js and ajax.  jQuery is an extra level of
> complexity.

Instead of a unnecessary layer of complexity, jquery avoids the couchdb
developers from having to waste time reinventing the wheel. So using
jquery actually avoids you having to spend time writing your own multi
browser compatible AJAX methods and helps you write easier more
concise js. Like the jQuery motto: Write Less, Do More. The dependency
on jQuery removes the need for unnecessary layers of complexity.

> Development of a
> couchapp first requires knowing or learning jquery which more or
> less first
> requires knowing or learning js and ajax.

If all communication with couchdb is by http than it's unavoidable to
use some js and ajax. But different js libraries like jQuery,
prototype,... make that easy to do too. Or you can go pure js. Or any
other language that can communicate through http. True Futon is the
demo and initial access for couchdb, but it's only one possible demo.
The couchdb wiki has several alternatives explained for interfacing
with couchdb and help you get on your way writing your own client.
I really don't understand you fixation on the usage of jquery. It's a
library used to make js programming easier, but anything else can be
used if your needs are different. That's the point of using a library
in any language, avoid doing the same work alrady done. And here
jquery was chosen, deal with it. It's not a complicated libary and
adding other abstraction layers to allow different libaries to be used
by futon wastes precious developer time that is better spend on
couchdb itself.