From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Futon Improvements
Date Thu, 10 Sep 2009 16:10:33 GMT
On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 02:04:25AM +1000, cinnebar wrote:
> > I don't believe CouchDB depends on jQuery.
>
> > In any case CouchDB by itself does not depend on jQuery.
>
> Perhaps I didnt explain my point well.  I mentioned jquery dependency in the
> context of 'Futon improvements'.  Futon is the 'in box' app for accessing
> CouchDB in browser and is dependent on jquery.

So what?

> Beyond this we think that the effect of better documenting at least the js
> included with CouchDB on installation would be greatly increased usability of
> CouchDB. We do not have this opinion because we are stupid or because we do
> not understand the code.

How would this objectively improve usability?

> I myself would welcome the demonstration of an alternative version of Futon
> from either of you that does not require jquery and is as good as or more
> full featured than the Futon that we have .

Why on earth does it matter what JavaScript libraries Futon uses?

> At the moment the feature set of Futon is far from useful for the level of
> dev that we are already at.

Patches welcome then.

> I mentioned CouchApp only in passing and i realise its dependencies are not
> really relevant to this discussion but it does seem odd to me that the demo
> 'standalone couchapp' in couchdb documentation is 'out of the box' dependent
> on a python module.

How else would you do it? Bash scripts and curl statements?

If you're going to be working with CouchDB, you need to do HTTP, and if you're
going to do that in a way that doesn't involve using telnet, you need to use a
library, so that means a language. I'd love to see your other suggestion.

> At the same time personally i like using py and i like
> using js so calling the CouchApp py module a 'third party tool' in the
> context doesnt seem to make too much sense.

The whole of CouchApp is third party.

> ...development of CouchDB will also be aided if this user mailing list
> involved a higher % of informed discussion and lower % 'o crap i cant it to
> work'

Development of CouchDB or development with CouchDB?

And what makes you think that your particular needs are more important?

Thanks,