From go canal <goca...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: is there a way to pass a request parameter to a view ?
Date Fri, 25 Sep 2009 10:32:04 GMT
an 'ideal' solution in my thinking is,  I can pass some request parameters to a view, which
in turn modifies the documents, without passing back and forth the documents at all.

I agree that actual performance impact is not significant. A small project I am working on
needs to manage only 7000+ documents. If the metadata of every document is about 500 bytes,
this is only 3MB+.  Even 30MB data for 70K documents may still manageable.

however a server side API can simplify the application development at the client side. that's
what I mean by 'ideal'.
 rgds,
canal

________________________________
From: Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org>
To: user@couchdb.apache.org
Sent: Friday, September 25, 2009 3:59:01 PM
Subject: Re: is there a way to pass a request parameter to a view ?

On 25 Sep 2009, at 07:51, go canal wrote:

> thanks for confirming, I think it is acceptable, though not ideal.
>
> Just wondering, since we can modify individual field with Futon, why don't we expose
the API ? rgds,

The only thing that is not ideal about this is transport cost and memory usage between the
client and CouchDB. This issue came up a few times and we asked that the reporter go and build
a working system and then show a real-world benchmark (heh) that indicates that this particular
behaviour of CouchDB is a bottleneck. Until then, this is premature optimization that should
be avoided.

Cheers
Jan