From go canal <goca...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: couchdb: suitable for this type of applications ?
Date Sat, 26 Sep 2009 02:56:36 GMT
thanks for quick response. Duplicating metadata only is fine.
yes, with compacting, that's even better.

 rgds,
canal

________________________________
From: Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com>
To: user@couchdb.apache.org
Sent: Saturday, September 26, 2009 9:59:29 AM
Subject: Re: couchdb: suitable for this type of applications ?

Attachments aren't copied on doc updates. And you're forgetting about
compaction.

HTH,
Paul Davis

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 9:29 PM, go canal <gocanal@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> another question. here is the use case:
>  - a group of 10 engineers working on a project,
>  - total files created over 12 months: 500
>  - average update per file 15 times
>  - average file size 20MB
>  - file format: MS Office, PDF, CAD drawings.
>
> I thought CouchDB is designed to support this type of applications but is it correct
to say that, every time there is an update to a doc, CouchDB will create a new version of
the (whole) document ?
> So can I say the total storage will be 500 * 20MB * 15 = 150GB without counting other
overhead ?

> Another question, if I only modify one field, is the attachment also copied into the
new version of the document ?

> I also saw this message posted almost a year ago, talking about if CouchDB is suitable
for frequent small writes application, and it seems that some client side buffering is needed
: