From Damien Pitard <damien.pit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Debian, how to replace the couchdb8 package by the latest 9 ?
Date Mon, 17 Aug 2009 22:36:26 GMT
I just tested it yesterday.

To compile couchDB 9.x on Debian lenny:

* see http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/couchdb/trunk/README?revision=798283

You must be root on the server

h2. Requirements Installation

<pre>
apt-get install help2man autoconf automake libtool
</pre>

it will also install the following packages :
<pre>
autotools-dev binutils cpp cpp-4.3 gcc gcc-4.3 gettext gettext-base
libc6-dev libgmp3c2 libgomp1 libltdl3-dev libmpfr1ldbl linux-libc-dev m4
</pre>

<pre>
apt-get install build-essential erlang libicu-dev libmozjs-dev
libcurl4-openssl-dev
</pre>

it will also install the following packages :
<pre>
defoma emacsen-common erlang-base erlang-dev erlang-examples erlang-mode
erlang-nox erlang-src erlang-x11 fontconfig-config libdrm2 libfontconfig1
libfontenc1 libgl1-mesa-glx libice6 libsctp1 libsm6 libxaw7 libxdamage1
libxfixes3 libxft2 libxi6 libxinerama1 libxmu6 libxrender1 libxt6 libxtst6
libxv1 libxxf86dga1 libxxf86vm1 lksctp-tools odbcinst1debian1 tcl tcl8.4 tk
tk8.4 ttf-dejavu ttf-dejavu-core ttf-dejavu-extra unixodbc x11-utils
xbitmaps xterm bzip2 comerr-dev dpkg-dev g++ g++-4.3 libicu38 libidn11-dev
libkadm55 libkrb5-dev libldap2-dev libmozjs1d libnspr4-0d libnspr4-dev
libssh2-1-dev libssl-dev libstdc++6-4.3-dev libtimedate-perl patch
pkg-config zlib1g-dev
</pre>

h2. Installation

<pre>
cd /root
wget http://apache.cict.fr/couchdb/0.9.1/apache-couchdb-0.9.1.tar.gz
tar xzvf apache-couchdb-0.9.1.tar.gz
cd apache-couchdb-0.9.1
./configure
make && sudo make install
</pre>

create a dedicated user:
<pre>
adduser --system --home /usr/local/var/lib/couchdb --no-create-home --shell
/bin/bash --group --gecos "CouchDB Administrator" couchdb
hange the ownership of the Apache CouchDB directories by running:
chown -R couchdb:couchdb /usr/local/etc/couchdb
chown -R couchdb:couchdb /usr/local/var/lib/couchdb
chown -R couchdb:couchdb /usr/local/var/log/couchdb
chown -R couchdb:couchdb /usr/local/var/run/couchdb
chmod -R 0770 /usr/local/etc/couchdb
chmod -R 0770 /usr/local/var/lib/couchdb
chmod -R 0770 /usr/local/var/log/couchdb
chmod -R 0770 /usr/local/var/run/couchdb
</pre>

run couchdb as a daemon:
<pre>
ln -s /usr/local/etc/init.d/couchdb /etc/init.d/couchdb
ln -s /usr/local/etc/default/couchdb /etc/default/couchdb
update-rc.d couchdb defaults
</pre>

rotate the log:
<pre>
ln -s /usr/local/etc/logrotate.d/couchdb /etc/logrotate.d/couchdb
</pre>

h2. Configuration

make couchdb reachable over the network editing
/usr/local/etc/couchdb/local.ini:
<pre>
[httpd]
port = 5984
bind_address = 0.0.0.0
</pre>

secure the access:
<pre>
[admins]
admin = your_password
</pre>

make sure that couchdb has write access on the file after edition
<pre>
chown couchdb:couchdb /usr/local/etc/couchdb/local.ini
</pre>

<pre>
/etc/init.d/couchdb restart
</pre>