From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Website redesign
Date Mon, 03 Aug 2009 03:56:52 GMT
On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 6:13 PM, Noah Slater<nslater@apache.org> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I am extremely grateful to Christopher Lenz for designing the first version of
> our official Apache site. However, I think it might be the time for a new
> design. There have been a number of other document databases pop up in the last
> year, and we would do well to keep our image modern and fresh.
>
> Some of my initial thoughts:
>
>  * The header graphic could make the project name much bigger.
>
>  * The header graphic could include the phrase "Time to relax" as a slogan.
>
>  * I'm not happy with the content hugging the left side and an empty right
>    gutter. I would prefer a central column with a width between 40 and 50 em
>    and a margin set to auto. Something generally like http://miscoranda.com/
>    would be nice, but a bit thinner.
>
>  * The font would probably look better in Georgia and being about 1em.

A man after my own heart!

>  * Something a bit more like http://books.couchdb.org/relax/ would be ideal.

Heh. I've been thinking a move in the opposite direction (more
pictographic, not less) could tell the story well. The obvious
role-model in this dept is http://rubyonrails.org/

But that said, I'm open minded and would be happy to see any potential designs.

> Of course, I could just come up with my own design and see what people thought,
> but I'm a little too busy, and thought it might be fun throwing this wide open
> to suggestions from the community. We might have some skilled designers!
>
> Best,
>
> --

Chris Anderson
http://jchrisa.net