From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 0.9 to 0.10 breaking changes
Date Thu, 27 Aug 2009 18:11:17 GMT
On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 2:06 PM, Zachary Zolton<zachary.zolton@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ohai,
>
> I'm prepping my app for the 0.10 release, and on the Breaking Changes
> wiki page, I came across this:
>
> Stricter enforcing of reduciness in reduce-functions
> Reduce functions are now required to reduce the number of values for a key.
>
> Can someone tell me what this means?

By default, reduces are checked for exploding data. Basically, if the
input to the reduce doesn't shrink then it starts throwing errors.
This was to combat the once common, "I don't understand why it works
with 10 documents, but not 100,000" threads.

> (Also, I'm considering adding some kind of warning in there about
> reduce=false on map-only views, since I was bitten by that change...)

Feel free to add anything as you see fit.

> Cheers,
>
> Zach

HTH,
Paul Davis