From Delta 2038 <delta2...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: proper way to uninstall/reinstall CouchDB
Date Sun, 23 Aug 2009 16:02:57 GMT
On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 10:50 AM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:

> On 23 Aug 2009, at 16:24, Delta 2038 wrote:
>
>  Hello everybody,
>>
>> I'm wondering what's the proper way to uninstall/reinstall CouchDB? I had
>> 0.9.x checked out of SVN and followed the README file to build/install
>> CouchDB. Later, checked out trunk and built/installed again, hoping the
>> new
>> binaries and configs will completely overwrite the 0.9.x ones. However,
>> when
>> I tried to run the Futon unit tests to verify the trunk install worked, a
>> lot of tests had cryptic errors. I then tried to build/install the 0.9.x
>> code base again and still had test errors. (If you want to know the exact
>> errors, let me know, but I took those to mean I've got a corrupted
>> installation in general).
>>

> Have you tried clearing the browser cache? Please post the errors, too.

Updating to the latest trunk code allowed the tests to pass. Clearing the
browser cache did help as well. I may have grabbed an unstable trunk
snapshot.

So is it safe to assume that a proper 'make install' is always sufficient to
upgrade, of course in the absence of explicit compatibility-breaking
announcements?

Thanks.