From Oliver Boermans <>
Subject Re: I can’t relax. I broke my couch upgrading dependencies. What might this error mean?
Date Mon, 10 Aug 2009 12:57:52 GMT
Thanks Brian

2009/8/10 Brian Candler <>:
> Sorry to question the obvious, but you *did* actually run

Bring on the obvious questions! Because what is obvious to you may not
be so for me.

> $ ./configure
> $ make
> $ sudo make install
> between those steps?

Yeah, that is kind of obvious :) Yes.

> And you did create 'couchdb' user and group?

I did, it all worked until recently, although…

> You don't
> have two couchdb users or two couchdb groups in /etc/passwd or /etc/group ?

No sign of couchdb in either file - should there be?

There is definitely a couchdb user: it shows up in the Accounts
preference pane and my log-in screen and as suggested by someone else
to test:

$ dscl . -read /Users/couchdb
AppleMetaNodeLocation: /Local/Default
AuthenticationAuthority: ;ShadowHash;
AuthenticationHint: other
GeneratedUID: 8D05A7D0-3C98-451A-B2BC-64AE48FB0C34
Password: ********
PrimaryGroupID: 99
 CouchDB Administrator
RecordName: couchdb
RecordType: dsRecTypeStandard:Users
UniqueID: 99
UserShell: /bin/bash

Please tell me if that looks in someway broken – if so, perhaps I
should be deleting the user/group to start fresh…
There was something weird with the password but I amended that without
any change.

Please ask the obvious questions.

View raw message