From Rhett Sutphin <rh...@detailedbalance.net>
Subject Re: I can’t relax. I broke my couch upgrading dependencies. What might this error mean?
Date Mon, 10 Aug 2009 20:38:51 GMT
Hi,

On Aug 10, 2009, at 2:53 PM, Brian Candler wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 11:16:04PM +0930, Oliver Boermans wrote:
>> 2009/8/10 Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com>:
>>> This is quite odd that some commands think this directory exists and
>>> others don't. Can you try removing and creating that directory?
>>
>> I trashed it (careful to move my database files first of course) and
>> recreated it
>>
>> $ cd /usr/local/var/lib
>> $ sudo mkdir couchdb
>> $ sudo chown -R couchdb:couchdb /usr/local/var/lib/couchdb
>>
>> Then same as before:
>>
>> $ login couchdb
>> Password:
>> No home directory  /usr/local/var/lib/couchdb!
>                    ^
> There couldn't possibly be an extra space in there by any chance??
>
> I'm not a Mac user, but I notice your dscl output split this
> particular
> attribute onto a line of its own:
>
> NFSHomeDirectory:
>  /usr/local/var/lib/couchdb
>
> which is suspicious to me.

FWIW, on my OS X machine with a functioning instance of couch 0.9.1,
NFSHomeDirectory and its value all shows up on one line.  Other keys'
values are wrapped onto separate lines, though, so I'm not sure this
is proof of anything.  Also, mine is called "NFSHomeDirectory" and is
on a local disk.  Not sure what NFS stands for here.

In the barrel-scraping department: have you (Oliver) ensured that /usr/
local/var/lib/couchdb is readable by the couchdb user?  Not just that
the directory itself has the correct permissions, but that the couchdb
user can traverse to it.  What happens if you do

$ sudo -u couchdb ls /usr/local/var/lib/couchdb

?  If it isn't readable, but it is owned by couchdb, you should check
that all its parent directories are executable by the couchdb user.
(On my system they are executable by everyone.)

Rhett