From Nitin Borwankar <ni...@borwankar.com>
Subject Re: MIME dump/load and implications
Date Thu, 06 Aug 2009 23:06:30 GMT
Adam Kocoloski wrote:
> Hi Nitin, sure.  I think Paul just meant that if we wrote it for
> replication, anyone could use the same facility to build something
> like what you're talking about.

Hi Adam, Paul,

Yes certainly agreed in theory but in practice I see two major
obstacles, one social and the other technical to this approach.

a) The number of people who can work on the replication code is a
handful and this hugely raises the bar and puts all this in the domain
of "someday-maybe" - "it will need to get on the release schedule" etc.
which is less attractive to me.

On the other hand doing it in userland via couchapp throws open the
gates for anyone to start experimenting with this and then the best
stuff will emerge and get traction, one hopes.  I couldn't possibly make
any useful contribution at the replication level at my current level of
knowledge of Couch/Erlang/... but hacking at the couchapp level is not
out of the range of my capabilities.  I suspect most users of Couch are
in the same boat as me.

So I deliberately focus on a REST based MIME-payload protocol that could
run in parallel with the REST based JSON-payload protocol.
At this level of abstraction it is easy to understand and talk about for
a much huger audience.  Moreover the amount of work needed to bridge the
gap between the already working python code and a couchapp/javascript
impl of this is much smaller.

b)  This will all also be possible in the replication layer but a
messaging system has additional requirements such as keeping cumulative
track of where the message came from - adding a MIME-header (JSON
attribute)  i.e modifying the doc at each hop etc.  These concerns are
not fundamental to point-point doc replication and need to be layered on
top/in addition to replication.  Replication needs to faithfully
reproduce a doc from one endpoint to another without the kinds of
modification that happen to headers (metadata attributes) in message
transport.

So thinking of messaging as "merely" replication glosses over some
fundamental issues that distinguish message documents in motion, from
more general documents.  Message documents have container level
attributes that get modified during the process of store-and-forward to
track the motion of the doc.
Generic documents in CouchDB have no such requirement and it may be
counterproductive to intermingle the requirements.

In fact it may be possible to make a stronger statement - Couch
replication should focus single mindedly on replication of documents in
a pt-to-pt fashion.
Messaging semantics can then be layered on top of replication, in an
upper layer if desired - or not.  Injecting messaging concerns
(especially modification of container attributes) into replication is a
distraction of focus for replication, IMHO and possibly counter to the
requirements of faithful replication.

Hope this clarifies why I reacted somewhat strongly to conflating REST
based messaging with replication - they overlap but should not be
equated if we want to build a messaging system, != a peer to peer doc
sharing system.

> After all, the replicator just speaks to CouchDB servers using the
> same HTTP requests as everyone else.
>
> I'm sure jchris knows better whether mimeparse would be suitable for
> this.  Cheers,

Mimeparse.js - looking at the code - seems focused on making the best
match of content-type to provide given an accept header so it may not be
the ...er best match for this.

Cheers,

Nitin