From Elliot Murphy <ell...@canonical.com>
Subject Re: Help required with Debian CouchDB package
Date Thu, 06 Aug 2009 11:14:59 GMT
Hi Noah,

On 08/05/2009 10:38 PM, Noah Slater wrote:
> I've been maintaining the Debian package of CouchDB for a while now:
>
>    http://packages.debian.org/sid/couchdb

Many thanks for your work on Debian and CouchDB so far, it's been  a
huge help in allowing me and others  (including the communities of all
Debian derivatives) to make use of CouchDB easily.

> I don't have the free time to devote to my work with Debian at the moment, and
> I'm looking to hand my packages over for team maintenance in the interim. For
> CouchDB, that means giving it to the Erlang team. I was wondering if there were
> any folk on our lists who would be interested in helping out?

I see Jim and Sam have responded also, wonderful! I saw that the Debian
Erlang packagers team was just you and one other persion, so I have just
joined the Erlang team mailing list and volunteered to help with Erlang
packages generally. I'm not yet a Debian Developer, but would like to
earn that role.

> CouchDB 0.9.1 has not been package yet, so that would be the first task.

I will have time to work on this specific task tomorrow while I am in
the airport. Sam, Jim, have you already started on this? If so I would
be happy to review any work you have done. If not, I'm happy to prepare
the package or to help test the package if you prefer to create it.

Noah, I know that in Ubuntu we had made some permissions changes in the
packaging for couchdb to enable per-user couchdb instances to be started
in Ubuntu. Are there other changes that you know are pending for the
package? Does preparing the 0.9.1 release involve anything else other
than the normal process for generating a source package for a new
upstream release? Once I have a source package that I have been able to
build in a pbuilder and test, what is the process for getting a sponsor
to upload to debian?

I really really appreciate you handing over package maintenance in such
an organized way, and I hope that this allows you more time to focus on
your other valuable work.

cheers,
-elliot