From Nitin Borwankar <ni...@borwankar.com>
Subject Re: couch returning text/plain for responses - is this correct ?
Date Sun, 02 Aug 2009 09:55:42 GMT
Paul Joseph Davis wrote:

> On Aug 2, 2009, at 4:53 AM, Nitin Borwankar <nitin@borwankar.com> wrote:
>
>> Paul Joseph Davis wrote:
>>>

>>> [...]
>>>>

>>> Well, for jquery with couchdb I'd just point people at
>>> jquery.couch.js for most answers. Though that could be me being
>>> lazy. Feel free to add where you think is appropriate. The wiki is a
>>> wiki after all. :)
>>>

>> For people like me coming from a very rudimentary UI experience level
>> - a slower descent into the hel.. er I mean depths of  jquery is
>> preferred :-).
>> I love jQuery but the more advanced syntax is a steep curve for a few
>> days.
>> I tried the jquery.couch.js approach first - but just the number of
>> concepts to be assimilated before I could get one thing done were too
>> much.
>> The functional syntax takes some getting used to and just trying to
>> figure what scope I am in at each line of the code is mind twisting.
>>
>> Most jQuery tutorials are focused on DOM manipulation whereas my
>> first interest is/was making calls to couch and getting json back -
>> this usually comes towards th end of a jQuery book and I'd like to
>> create a page or two of simple jQuery ajax in the context of couch.
>>
>> Starting from a bare $.ajax call level is useful - the syntactic
>> sugar of jQuery is actually very useful - I just found it way too
>> much all at once to also assimilate the plug in concepts as well.
>>
>> Additionally getting the paths straightened out when adding your own
>> libs or using the internal ones is another thing.
>>
>> Perhaps a tutorial db that comes with couch and has a bunch of sample
>> docs, simplest to more complicated, with libs, attachments, sample
>> data would be useful.
>>
>> I remember when I was at Sybase ( it is still true ) they had a
>> "pubs" sample database that was installed with the server and was
>> useful in learning an in testing.  Sybase training classes were based
>> on the "pubs" database as well.  I know the test data base is
>> supposed to be similar but a testing environment is not always
>> conducive to learning for many people.  I'd like to float the idea of
>> a database with sample data, code and docs that can be replicated
>> from couch.io, or just comes with couch ( to save couch.io the
>> bandwidth charges ).
>>
>> In the meanwhile I can start something on the wiki - in my copious
>> spare time.
>>

> I'm fairly I intrigued by the idea of a standard test database. At the
> moment all tests build up their required test data. There could be a
> couple issues in terms of mechanics but having a couple example
> databses that could be cloned or some such might end up making tests
> quite a bit more straight forward.
>
> Anyone else have thoughts?

Note I am NOT saying standard TEST database - although that is also a
good idea.
I am saying a standard tutorial database with examples of good and bad
practice etc.  the needs of tutorial databases may intersect with but
are not identical to the needs of a testing database.  For instance
coverage is more important in a set of tests and tests are necessarily
atomic but clarity and ease of understanding of how to compose concepts
to build more featureful code is far more important in a tutorial
database.  A test database can be a starting point but I suggest we need
more than that.

So both are needed and I would be somewhat disappointed if my suggestion
got taken to mean that there should be a standard test database alone.
Nothing against the test code,  but just sayin ......

Nitin