From Nitin Borwankar <ni...@borwankar.com>
Subject Re: couch returning text/plain for responses - is this correct ?
Date Sun, 02 Aug 2009 08:07:13 GMT
Paul Davis wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 3:44 AM, Nitin Borwankar<nitin@borwankar.com> wrote:
>
>> Starting a separate thread as this was discovered at the end of a long
>> thread about jQuery/callback=? etc.
>>
>> Here's what I am seeing.  Wondering if this is supposed to be this way and
>> why that might be ?
>>
>> curl -v http://localhost:5984/
>>
>> * About to connect() to localhost port 5984 (#0)
>> *   Trying 127.0.0.1... connected
>> * Connected to localhost (127.0.0.1) port 5984 (#0)
>>
>>> GET / HTTP/1.1
>>> Host: localhost:5984
>>> Accept: */*
>>>

>> < HTTP/1.1 200 OK
>> < Server: CouchDB/0.9.0 (Erlang OTP/R12B)
>> < Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 07:42:07 GMT
>> < Cache-Control: must-revalidate
>> <
>> {"couchdb":"Welcome","version":"0.9.0"}
>> * Connection #0 to host localhost left intact
>> * Closing connection #0
>>

>> This appears to be the same for results of views etc as well.
>>
>> I am on CouchDBX 0.9.0 on Intel Leopard 10.5.7
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Nitin
>>

> Yep this is expected because if we return application/json by default
> then browsers will prompt users to download instead of displaying the
> output. There were a couple awesome bike shed discussions on it. See
> also the end responses with a newline threads if you're feeling
> masochistic.
>
> For reference the end result was return text/plain unless the client
> asks for application/json.
>
> Paul

OK, so curl -v -H gives me the right response - but setting teh
contentType in $.ajax() still gives a text/plain back which I have to
JSON.parse().

This may be a jQuery issue - in any case

a) I know how to get it to work
b) I know now why it has to be that way - I figured it was related to
making it easire to debug and just to see what was happening.
    Right decision I think but it might help to document prominently in
the wiki.  Happy to write something up if you tell me the right place to
put it.

Nitin