From Jim Tarvid <tar...@ls.net>
Subject Re: Debian, how to replace the couchdb8 package by the latest 9 ?
Date Tue, 18 Aug 2009 03:59:08 GMT
I can build these things from tarballs but I can't make sense of the
packaging

Erlang

The latest build, R13B01 is packaged for "karmic". I am on "jaunty"

I downloaded source from erlang.org and followed the README. This machine
has been through a few builds so most of the dependencies just worked. In
the past I have had to install a number of x-dev packages where "x" is a
dependency. ./configure still complains about wxwidgets but I ignored those
complaints.

erl runs and I can do simple things,

Riak

Install mercurial

hg clone http://bitbucket.org/justin/riak/

Follow README
RIAK=/home/tarvid/riak
export RIAK
./start-fresh.sh config/riak-demo.erlenv
./riak_demo.escript config/riak-demo.erlen
erl -name riaktest@127.0.0.1 -pa $RIAK/ebin

Test cases work

CouchDB

tar xzvf apache-couchdb-0.9.1.tar.gz
cd apache-couchdb-0.9.1/
./configure
sudo apt-get install spidermonkey-bin
./configure
sudo apt-get install libmozjs-dev
sudo apt-get install libicu-dev
./configure
make
sudo make install
sudo adduser --system --home /usr/local/var/lib/couchdb
--no-create-home             --shell /bin/bash --group --gecos "CouchDB
Administrator" couchdb
..changed ownership and permissions as in the README
# mkdir /var/lib/couchdb
# chown -R couchdb:couchdb /var/lib/couchdb
# chmod -R 0770 /var/lib/couchdb
sudo -i -u couchdb couchdb -b

http://127.0.0.1:5984/_utils/index.html

works