From Fabio Forno <fabio.fo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 0.9 to 0.10 breaking changes
Date Fri, 28 Aug 2009 20:16:14 GMT
On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 9:55 PM, Paul Davis<paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com> wrote:
>> in this case I'm reducing the result, but the output is greater the
>> half the size of the input. For what I've understood this would fail,
>> wouldn't it?
>
> Yep. And this is a poster child of the sort of thing this patch was
> trying to catch. The CouchDB-y way to do this would be to emit like
> such:
>
> Doc1
> [k1, id(F1)] -> F1
> [k1, id(F2)] -> F2
> [k1, id(F3)] -> F3
> [k1, id(F4)] -> F4
> [k1, id(F5)] -> F5
>
> Doc2
> [k1, id(F1)] -> F1
> [k1, id(F3)] -> F3
>
> And then call your reduce with a group=true.

This was my first approach and in general it works for the purpose.
The only problem is when the features are not independent one of each
other. I guess that in that case the only approach is to download all
the [k1, features] and handle them in the client (same problem as
sorting reduce results).

--
Fabio Forno, Ph.D.
Bluendo srl http://www.bluendo.com