From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: I can’t relax. I broke my couch upgrading dependencies. What might this error mean?
Date Sat, 08 Aug 2009 03:30:53 GMT
On Sat, Aug 08, 2009 at 12:57:24PM +0930, Oliver Boermans wrote:
> $ sudo -i -u couchdb couchdb
> sudo: unable to change directory to  /usr/local/var/lib/couchdb: No
> such file or directory

I'm working on the CouchDB book as we speak, and I literally just wrote:

  "You should make sure that the couchdb user has a working login shell. You can
  test this logging into a terminal as the couchdb user. You should also make
  sure to set the home directory to /usr/local/var/lib/couchdb which is the
  CouchDB database directory."

You'll need to figure out why this command isn't working. Can you log in as the
couchdb user? Does it have a proper shell? What is the home directory set to?
Does it exist? Does the user have permission to access it?

Thanks,