From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: can't access database after restart
Date Mon, 03 Aug 2009 20:21:22 GMT
On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 08:04:58PM +0200, francisco treacy wrote:
> I guess it was that, something to do with users. I was trying to
> restart via sudo /etc/init.d/couchdb _ , but I needed to execute
> utils/run.

I've been trying to stay out of this thread, but oh well. The utils/run script
is for developers only. You should not be using this in a production setting. I
recommend you run through the following:

  http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Troubleshooting

  http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Error_messages

Both of those may be a little out of date, but they are written in such a way
that they should fix your problem, or give you the information you need to send
back to the list. Basically, if you get it working with the Troubleshooting
guide, then you have a problem with one of the following:

  * Your previous installation is borked

  * The couchdb user has issues with it's home directory

  * The couchdb user doesn't have permission for /var/run/couchdb

  * The couchdb user doesn't have permission for /var/log/couchdb

Hope this helps.

Best,