From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: switching between response content type in show? how to trigger html response inst of default xml
Date Fri, 24 Jul 2009 21:49:04 GMT
On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 12:19 PM, Nitin Borwankar<nitin@borwankar.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> so the list/show coding is going well - have the show running except for one
> blocker - I am using curl to invoke the show (alost identical to example) in
> couch app as follows - change dthe name from example to show_details in both
> the shows code and lib/template - id in this request is "aacosta"  - the
> template just returns a doc with the id in it
>
> curl $CDB/ptest2/_design/vt2/_show/show_details/aacosta
>
> <xml>
>  <node value="aacosta"/>
> </xml>
>
> two questions
>
> Why is the xml being sent back by default? What is the right param to pass
> in to trigger the html?
>
> show function is as follows
>

> function(doc, req) {
>  // !code lib/helpers/template.js
>  // !json lib.templates
>
>  respondWith(req, {
>    html : function() {
>      var html = template(lib.templates.show_details, doc);
>      return {body:html}
>    },
>    xml : function() {
>      return {
>      }
>    }
>  })
> };

Accept header handling in browsers is so bad I'm starting to wish I'd
never written that code. Kinda want to strip it out altogether.

I believe Rails just stopped supporting the Accept header for the same
reason. (They've moved to URLs like /path/object.xml due to lack of
browser support for Accept.)

To make a long story short, for the time being you can request:

$CDB/ptest2/_design/vt2/_show/show_details/aacosta?format=html

to override the format.

Chris

--
Chris Anderson