From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Views with parameters
Date Wed, 15 Jul 2009 17:10:46 GMT
On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 12:26 PM, Manuel de la
Pena<mandel@themacaque.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have started looking a couchDb for a project of mine. I fully
> understand the idea of documents and the work wot be performed with
> them. But I have some question about the views: is there a way to pass
> parameter to the views? So far all I have read points that views are
> that, views and that I need to know them before hand. How do I make a
> query at runtime then?
>
> Is passing parameter in the view url work?

There are two answers to this quite common question:

1. You're Doing It Wrong in so much that query a view needs to be
thought of differently than something like an SQL query. Lots of
people find that the types of questions they want to answer are in
fact answerable using the view system.
2. Your questions truly are dynamic and you need dynamic query
capabilities so you should use something like couchdb-lucene.

I can't say much else without more specifics.

HTH,
Paul Davis