From paweł kamiński <kami...@gmail.com>
Subject starting with couchdb, few general questions
Date Fri, 03 Jul 2009 10:48:54 GMT
hi, all
I posted this on erlang-questions but I have no response from them so maybe
you can help clarify all this.

recently I ve started to look at couchDB and what I see sounds great but I
have few general questions

1)when it is better to use document oriented db over RDMS or in your opinion
it is always better to use couchDB:)
2)why schema free is good, how then ensure that what somebody puts to db is
what it should be especially when JSON can handle any data type and it is
easy to make a mistake

3)as a old SQL developer Im force now to think how to implement all map and
reduce function to make them efficient. with select statement I just write
what I want and leave all to the system, dont I?.

4)how to design my db, curently my db is about 500 normilized tables, master
to items tables, so I understand how to aggragate with MR but how to join
and how to make it work fast and use as small disk as possible and that data
are not redundant. I understand that each document type is in separate REST
path and connect children to the document I should just put them to
path/docs/coffe/items. what about normalization and redundancy.

5)If my RDBS is running on 2core (ore sometimes one core) machine, and that
machine is alone server storing data from local clients is there any gain of
using systems such as couchDB or others (ok replication and other features
are still nice)
6)this is somehow related to point 5) what scale down really means (to work
on mobiles, browsers etc)? If I have one core machine then will the system
be fast enough than RDMS (sqlite)

thanks for helping me in that

pozdrawiam
Paweł Kamiński