From kowsik <kow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Chaining MapReduce function pairs
Date Wed, 29 Jul 2009 03:46:01 GMT
It doesn't have to be a separate DB though. Example would be: you want
to run a view (report), say once a day, and then trend on this (using
another view).

It's possible to generate the view results, add that back to couchdb
as a document with a timestamp and then have meta-views that
map/reduce these views to pull out trends and what not. I've done this
and works like a charm. This kinda view is awesome from a motion chart
perspective (http://code.google.com/apis/visualization/documentation/gallery/motionchart.html)
where you can see 4-dimensional data transforming (time being one of
the dimensions).

While couch doesn't "natively" support this, this kind of thing is
possible since the results of a view is just JSON which itself can be
another native document.

K.