From Nicholas Orr <nicholas....@zxgen.net>
Subject Unique human readable ID
Date Wed, 29 Jul 2009 03:33:50 GMT
I get the whole point of letting couchdb generate id's.
At the same time I need a way to create a human
memorable/readable/communicative id:
 - ID: 45060, 45061, 45062, etc
That is a whole lot simpler to relay over a phone call compared to:
- 1d98d82f5b6a628527344ba991cb7e2f

What have people done to satisfy the users of their systems with a simple id
and also be able to replicate the documents between different couchdb
instances?

I've come up with 2 ideas:

# 1
Have a single couchdb that has 50 documents (tickets) (figure out a way to
always have 50 available) in it like what is mentioned in the wiki to do
transactions[1]

For each instance of the application prefix the id with it's instance id so
1.45060 & 2.45060 have the same id but were created on different instances.
Therefore when the two instances of the couchdb's replicate with each other
there are two unique id's
I can see this adding a fair amount of overhead if it gets to the point of
more then a few instances...

If I drop the requirement of replication everything becomes simple. Then I
have to wonder - why am I using CouchDB then??

Nick

[1] - http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Frequently_asked_questions#transactions