From Jim Puls <...@nondifferentiable.com>
Subject What would cause CouchDB to start eating up all my memory and CPU?
Date Mon, 13 Jul 2009 18:29:27 GMT
I'm running CouchDB 0.9.0 to collect a bunch of data and map/reduce it
later. Awesome. Here it is, happily collecting data, being very light
on system resources, indeed:

     22383 couchdb   20   0  192m  19m 4096 S    2  3.7   0:12.82
beam.smp

That is, until I request a view. There are perhaps 8000 unindexed
records in this database, and the view server appears to get through
all of them just fine. But as soon as it finishes, CPU and memory both
spike until they exhaust the system:

     22383 couchdb   20   0 1052m 453m 2208 S   72 88.4   0:52.65
beam.smp

At this point, all requests to the server time out until I kill it and
restart it. After the restart, everything is fine again until I next
request a view.

Anybody have any ideas? The database is about 600 MB and has about
320000 documents in it. There isn't a record of any exceptions in the
log.

-> jp