From patrick flaherty <p...@well.com>
Subject Re: Getting started with CouchDB.
Date Mon, 13 Jul 2009 03:49:42 GMT

thanx Nicholas.  I'm at GMT-8; was out for the evening; and may not have
a chance to check it out tonight.  But if not, then
tmw.

Before going out I did download the latest kit to build from.  And if I
understood the steps in here correctly:

http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Installing_on_Windows

all the various parts and pieces are basically downloadable (for Windows
of course), with the exception of one: compiling the Erlang
code.  Was aware of Erlang's name before but that was about it.
Compiled the Erlang code and it appeared to work.  I got two directories
full of .beam files which are apparently compiled Erlang code.

But then I'd go into werl and try to run the server ( either
couch_server.start(). or couch_server.start("couch.ini"). ) and would
get nothing
more than the following:

1> couch_server:start().
Apache CouchDB 0.0.0 (LogLevel=error)
Apache CouchDB is starting.

** exception error: no function clause matching
                    filename:join({error,bad_name},"lib")
     in function  couch_util:start_driver/1
     in call from couch_server_sup:start_server/1
2>

Which I believe says that I'm missing a DLL.  DepdencyWalker told me
that I needed to put two of the ICU DLLs back to having the version
number (42) in the names but I still crashed.  And the last thing I was
doing was studying erl_crash.dump to see if that would tell me
anything useful.

All of which was sort of interesting.  But hopefully whatever I find at
the URL you indicate will spare me more of the two yards in a
cloud of dust phenomenon (American football metaphor).

pat

Nicholas Orr wrote:
> Found it!
> got to love gmail search
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/200904.mbox/<49D7E0DD.9080409@gmail.com><http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/200904.mbox/%3C49D7E0DD.9080409@gmail.com%3E>
>
> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 12:55 PM, Nicholas Orr <nicholas.orr@zxgen.net>wrote:
>

>> there is 0.9 binary - i tested it for someone when they figured it out
>> where is it??? i don't know - sorry :(
>>

>> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 7:36 AM, patrick flaherty <patf@well.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Duh.  Here's the url for the windows installer exe that one downloads from
>>> Buno Lope's site:
>>>
>>> http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/118385/CouchDbBinaries/couchdb-0.8.1-win32.exe
>>>
>>> 0.8.1
>>>
>>> Guess I have to rebuild.