incubator-couchdb-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Sergey Shepelev <temo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: FW: CouchDB shared hosting
Date Wed, 08 Jul 2009 09:26:07 GMT
On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Noah Slater<nslater@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 07, 2009 at 10:04:58PM +0400, Sergey Shepelev wrote:
>> > We want to know if the following is possible now or in the near future. When
>> > it is possible we probably want to add the CouchDB to our standard packages.
>> > - Access to a database based on the username and password
>>
>> That's not DB job, you can do it with proxying http server. (nginx,
>> lighttpd, varnish)
>
> I disagree.
>
>> > - Require that the connections comes from a "trusted" IP or from any IP (can
>> > also be done by a firewall)
>>
>> That's not DB job, you know how to do it, why are you asking? :)
>
> I presume he's asking because he wants to know if CouchDB offers it anyway.
>
>> > - The option to change rights and/or passwords for a user with commands (so
>> > it can be done automatically)
>>
>> You can write scripts to change proxying http server configs and make
>> it reload them with commands. In fact, there is no such thing in the
>> world, that can't be done "with commands, automatically".
>
> He clearly means programmatic access, instead of via a GUI interface. If you had
> spent any time administrating a shared access computer system, you would realise
> how important this question is.
>

Script changing http server config and making it reload config is a
programmatic access. I had spent quite time administering frontend
http server and that's why i'm talking about such scripts.

>> > - The option to create/delete users/databases with commands (so it can be
>> > done automatically)
>>
>> You can create/delete databases as simply as curl -X PUT/DELETE db.host/database
>
> You can find more documentation on the wiki:
>
>  http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/HTTP_database_API
>
>> > - 1 instance for multiple databases (not an instance per database)
>>
>> CouchDB can do that. But requirement doesn't make sense.
>
> Why doesn't his requirement make sense?

Because it's the same as if CouchDB would run one database per
instance. You just run another thin instance for another database and
everything's fine. Multiplexing databases into one instance only makes
sense (in my opinion) if we have really thousand of clients per one
box and everyone occasionally uses their databases. In that case even
lightest instances would fill up memory. Moderate database per box
distribution solves this problem.

>
>> > Currently we work with:
>> > - MySQL
>> > - MSSQL
>> > - Postgresql
>>
>> You realize, that CouchDB is totally different from those, right?
>
> He probably does, which is why this is such a big deal.
>
> I think the tone of your email could have been improved. While I appreciate that
> you were trying to help, we all need to try our best to foster a friendly and
> supportive environment on the mailing lists.
>

2Mark: i am sorry if i looked unfriendly or something bad. It was not intended.

> Thanks,
>
> --
> Noah Slater, http://tumbolia.org/nslater
>

Mime
View raw message