From Adam Kocoloski <kocol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache in front of CouchDB: failing tests
Date Tue, 07 Jul 2009 16:45:34 GMT
On Jul 7, 2009, at 11:19 AM, Nils Breunese wrote:

> Adam Kocoloski wrote:

>>> So it's only the stats collector that is not functioning
>>> properly?  Can we just use CouchDB 0.9.0 if we do not really care
>>> about the  stats collector?
>>>
>>> This test is not failing on our testing CouchDB (also 0.9.0) by
>>> the  way. What is the explanation for that?
>> Hi Nils, the bug is also fixed in the 0.9.1 release candidate
>> being  voted on now.  It's a bug in the stats collector and the
>> test suite.   The stats collector was not being reset properly on a
>> call to  _restart, and the test suite was measuring the wrong
>> field.  The  latter bug is probably why you only saw intermittent
>> failures or none  at all in 0.9.0.
>> In short, the suite was measuring the maximum rate of DBs being
>> opened, when it should have measured the number that were open.
>> So  the results of the test really depended on the environment and
>> the  hardware.  Hope it helps,
>
> Ok, so it's a bug in the test and not the 'regular' code? So we
> should be fine using CouchDB 0.9.0 now?
>
> Nils Breunese.

Yes, it's highly unlikely that particular bug has any effect on your
operation.  However, keep in mind that 0.9.1 is a bugfix release and a
recommended upgrade for users of 0.9.0 when it comes out.  Here's the
summary of changes:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/couchdb/branches/0.9.x/CHANGES?revision=786852

In particular, if you use attachments, extended Unicode, replication,
or large numbers of databases (~100 or more) I would highly recommend
upgrading.  Cheers,

Adam