From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: _mutiple_ databases memory profile
Date Wed, 17 Jun 2009 14:23:13 GMT
Marcus,

Just to be sure, what follows from max_open_dbs that Jan was talking
about is that once you hit that limit, your memory usage should be
semi constant. Adjusting the memory usage due to databases would then
be semi-indirectly configurable via that parameter. As always, I would
urge you to create some benchmark scripts and report your findings
back to the list or in a blog post. We're always looking for more
benchmarks.

There are methods for both reporting memory and running garbage
collection in Erlang, but nothing that's exposed by CouchDB to
clients. You can check couch_utils:should_flush/1 for examples of both
calls. Adding a memory usage stat to the stats api probably wouldn't
be out of the question. My (very limited) understanding of the garbage
collection scheme in Erlang is that there's no real global garbage
collection, so there's not really a clear way to make some sort of
aggressiveness setting unless there are native system wide parameters
I haven't seen (and I haven't looked for such a thing).

HTH,
Paul Davis