From James Marca <jma...@translab.its.uci.edu>
Subject Re: calulate doc popularity with couchdb map/reduce
Date Thu, 11 Jun 2009 19:55:04 GMT
On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 04:25:13PM -0500, Zachary Zolton wrote:
> So, another +1 for chainable map-reduce...? (-_^)

And +1 from me too.

I am completely ignorant of Erlang and the CouchDB internals, but why
is map/reduce output (all the view docs I see in the directory as
.whatever files) any different than regular CouchDB databases?  It
seems logical that the same tools that apply to a CouchDB database
should apply to view files as well, so one can map/reduce against view
without having to manually convert it back from view results into
another CouchDB database.

Cheers,
James Marca

> On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 11:24 AM, Benoit Chesneau<bchesneau@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2009/6/10 Chris Anderson <jchris@apache.org>:
> >> On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 6:06 AM, Benoit Chesneau<bchesneau@gmail.com>
wrote:

> >> It looks like you are building up a hash of scores in your reduce. Can
> >> you get the same results by keeping the reduce ignorant of keys, and
> >> just calculating the score for whatever keys are in the range. Then
> >> you can use a group query and sort by value on the client.
> >>
> >> Anything involving relative popularity of certain items will have a
> >> sorting phase outside of CouchDB's first pass of map reduce.
> >>

> > hi, thanks for the feedback. I think you mean somethink like this :
> > http://www.friendpaste.com/4cIo2tzKA3epiwLkwPsolA
> >
> > It works yes,  but now I need a second phase to invert values/keys and
> > get them in right order. In fact having the possibility to save resukt
> > of first reduce in temporary docs and mapping them to a new result
> > could be a solution.
> >
> > - benoît

believed to be clean.