From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: how to do http request within server-side _show or _view functions?
Date Tue, 12 May 2009 12:33:34 GMT
On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 1:13 AM, Scott Shumaker <sshumaker@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not ideal, but it works.  I'd love for validate_doc_update to take
> HTTP headers - especially an additional JSON parameter, like a custom
> userCtx.

The problem with this approach is that the validation functions are
run at replication time as well as at initial update time. This is why
we need to abstract the http information into a userCtx, because the
full request object won't be available for replay later (and the
replicating userCtx is used at rep time, not the original Ctx, so
replay wouldn't be appropriate anyway.)

Both concerns in this thread (custom http auth & using user creds from
a db) are best addressed by writing another authentication handler or
two. I believe there is work underway to do this but I'm not sure the
current state.

We are very open to patches in the auth handler section of the code.
Please inquire on dev@ (or drop a patch on
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB) if you'd like to help
here.

Chris